Crispy Cheesey Potato Waffle
Its Saturday again! Time for another brunch post. This is another hearty brunch recipe with poached eggs, bacon (ultimate breakfast staple) and the star of today’s dish POTATO WAFFLE! These potato waffles are crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside because of the Parmesan. This waffle has to be a new addition to our waffle recipe. We are used to making sweet waffle but this time we decided to experiment and try something new. How about some savoury waffles instead? They are perfect if you have left over mashed potatoes! The waffle maker we used was the Traditional Five of Hearts rather than the Belgian Waffle Maker. Hence the batter does not has to be as thick when using the Belgian waffle maker. Do take note which waffle maker you are using!
Ingredients (7-8 waffles)
(Adapted from Dinner with Julie)
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes ( Or 3-4 medium sized potatoes, mashed)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup or milk
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- (Optional) If you are using fresh potatoes, prepare mash potatoes like how you normally would.
- In a large bowl, mix together the mashed potatoes, eggs, milk, butter, garlic powder and some salt and pepper until well blended and smooth. Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Add the flour and baking powder and stir just until combined.
- Preheat your waffle iron and spray it with nonstick spray*; cook a large spoonful of batter at a time, and leave it until it stops steaming – cook until deep golden and crisp.
- Serve warm, topped with bacon, poached eggs and a dash of hot sauce. Or eat them straight up, with butter.
* I skipped this step as my waffle maker does not need it