Honestly I am not too sure what I should write about this wonderful dish. For the last couple of years we have been living on the “meat side of life”. In the area where we are living in Germany fish is not amongst the most popular dishes so we usually have fish during our yearly visits in South East Asia. But one morning I was watching this great Youtube video from Gennaro and I thought to myself: “If it is that easy to make grilled fish at home why am I not doing this?”. So a couple of days later I went to our local fish monger and decided to give this recipe a try. Find out more here…
The fact that was really interesting about this grilled mackerel mediterranean style was the herbs that give this fish a great flavor. I am usually not the biggest fan of fish especially if there is some sort of “fishy” taste or smell to it. With the right combination of herbs and spices you really don’t have to be afraid of it. The fish will take in a lot of the flavors and you will be surprised at how great it tastes.
Here is what you need:
- 2 whole mackerels (gutted and cleaned)
- 1 hand full of fresh mint
- Olive oil
- A couple of thyme sprigs
- A couple of rosemary sprigs
- 1 chili halved and deseeded
- 1 lemon halved
I’m sure by now all you want to know is how to make it right? Well it is really simple and quick.
- Stuff each fish with half a hand full of fresh mint.
- Season the fish heavily with salt and pepper on the outside.
- Heat a pan to high heat. Once it is hot add olive oil.
- Place the thyme, rosemary and half a chili on top of one fish and drizzle it with olive oil.
- Take this fish package and place it “herbs down” in the pan. The herbs will protect the skin on the fish and will infuse all of the flavors into the fish.
- Fry the fish for about 3-4 minutes with the lid covered. This will steam the fish from the top and grill it from the bottom.
- Flip the fish over and fry for another 3-4 minutes. This time I would recommend to not cover it so that the fish stays crispy on top.
- Once you flipped the fish over add two lemon halves in the pan as well and fry them with the fish.
- Take everything out and plate it nicely. Add some more drizzles of olive oil and you are good to go.