Sometimes it might be difficult to cook during the week because there is simply not enough time. What do you think about making one dish but have three different meals out of it? You basically only need to prepare the dish once and you can enjoy this in different variations during the week. Chili stores well in the fridge and it can be reheated easily! Sometimes I think the flavours are better the following day even. It also makes a great party dish that is simple and can be cooked for many guests.
Of course we have to start with the base for all of our dishes. This will simply be the Chili that makes a great dish on its own. The recipe should feed two people and depending on your appetite and the variations (e.g. having it with rice or bread) it can feed even more.
- Olive oil
- 2 chopped onions
- 2 chopped garlic
- teaspoon of cumin seeds
- chili powder (amount depends on how spicy you like your Chili)
- 500 grams of minced beef
- Tomato Puree
- Spicy Worchester Sauce
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons of dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan on medium to high heat.
- Add the minced onions, the minced garlic and the cumin seeds into the pan. Fry until it becomes aromatic and you fall in love with the scent.
- Add the chili powder to your liking and stir everything well.
- Break the minced beef into the pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the tomato puree so that everything is well covered and cook the minced beef through.
- While the minced beef is frying add some spicy worcester sauce and stir well.
- Add the tin of chopped tomatoes, the oregano and the brown sugar and stir everything well.
- Reduce the heat to low-medium and simmer the chili until it becomes rich in texture and the liquid evaporated.
After these 8 easy steps you can decide what you want to eat first. We started with Chili Dogs but you can go for whatever you want.
Basically we had the following three dishes out of it:
- Chili with rice
- Chili Dogs
- Nacho Chili Cheese Lasagne
For the Chili with rice all you have to do is steam some rice and you are good to go. Simple, filling and yet delicious. For the Chili Dogs you should get yourself some franks and some hot dog buns. Just boil the franks and steam/ microwave the buns and top your everyday Hot Dog with some of the Chili. Add some freshly chopped onions on top and enjoy it.
Last but not least get yourself a package of nachos and some grated cheese for this Nacho Chili Cheese Lasagne. Use a baking pan and layer nachos, grated cheese and chili like a lasagne. Place in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 20 minutes. Enjoy Nacho Chili Lasagne in front of the TV watching your favorite series.
To make everything perfect we recommend a cold bottle of beer ;)