We know that one of the biggest trends in food and recipes is health but we think once in a while it okay for some unhealthy food! Saying that we clearly prefer to know what is in our food so we decide to make unhealthy food on our own. One of our all time favorites is beer battered fish and chips with mushy peas. If unhealthy does not scare you off find out what you are going to need to make this awesome dish!
Wow! We assume you decided to give it a try right? Well then find out what you are going to need:
- sunflower oil for deep frying
- 1 bottle beer
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of paprika powder
- 450 grams of white fish filet cut into to filets of equal size (we used fresh cod filet from our local fishmonger
- thick cut fries (we picked fries from the freezer and fried them in our Tefal Actifry)
- mashed peas
If you follow these simple steps you can enjoy your self made fish and chips at home:
- Heat a big pot with a generous amount of sunflower oil for deep frying. Make sure the pot is hot!
- Pour the bottle of beer in a large bowl.
- Whisk the flour into the bowl slowly until well combined.
- Stir in salt, pepper, garlic and paprika powder.
- Pat fish dry and season on both sides with salt and pepper and coat the fish in the beer batter.
- Fry the fish in the sunflower oil. Turn it over frequently, until deep golden and cooked through. This should take about 5-6 minutes. We recommend to fry one filet at a time so that the oil stays hot!
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet and keep warm in oven.
- While frying the fish prepare your fries in the oven, deep frier or Tefal Actifry as mentioned above.
We have made mashed peas (with cottage pies) before that is a little on the sweet side. This is version is a little more savoury.
- 1 knob butter
- 1 can of peas
- 1 small handful fresh mint, leaves picked and chopped
- 1 squeeze lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Put the butter in a pan with the peas and the chopped mint. Put a lid on top and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add a squeeze of lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. You can either mush the peas up in a food processor, or you can mash them by hand till your desired consistency.
Congratulations! You just made fresh Fish and Chips with an awesome beer batter. Now go ahead and get another bottle of cold beer (The Husband recommends Kilkenny from Ireland) and enjoy your meal.