recipe: Bright Lemon Carrot Cake
Its freezing cold as I am typing this recipe right now. Hello spring/summer in Germany. Lets do some positive thinking here and bring some warmth into our lives (For you all people out there enjoying the sun…luck you!) by baking this bright and zesty carrot cake with lemon and way healthier cake than the traditional carrot cake! I decided to make this because we had come carrots in the house and I really wanted to use the lemons before they dry up. The Husband does not like lemon cake on its own. So I added them to the carrot cake so that he will have some as well. His comment was ” It taste good for something I don’t like.” Its weird but the main point is it the taste is really quite good!
This cake is healthier than the traditional carrot cake because we use olive oil and as you may be able to see, there isn’t any cream cheese frosting. I was honestly a little uncertain about it because carrot cake and cream cheese are like best friends. They have to be together at all times!
When I took a bite of the carrot cake with icing sugar dusted lightly over. It was moist and light. Imagine carrot cake on a diet…think traditional carrot – chubby girl VS this lemon carrot cake – yoga girl. That is how this cake taste. The bright zesty lemon bouncing on your tongue.
I baked this cake on a Saturday. On Monday I had a slice for breakfast and they tasted moist still. Be sure to wrap them in cling film or keep them in an air tight container to prevent them from drying out. I think this cake would freeze well too.
I know you are going to start rolling your eyes and think that we are being sponsored by Bosch. But no we are not! I was able to this cake done real quick because of our most awesome Bosch Food Processor Mixer. Shredding is a breeze! Be sure to keep a lookout for more shredded vegetable dish. Sweet and savoury ;)
This recipe is by Zerrin Gunaydin from Yummly. ( I used a 7 inch springform pan)
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
- 1 cup (128g or about 2 medium sized carrots) grated carrot
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tbsp extra olive oil to brush cake mold
- powdered sugar and lemon zest for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees C)
- Whisk together sugar and eggs in a large bowl till pale and fluffy.
- Add olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, and grated carrot and continue stirring.
- Add whole wheat flour and baking powder together, and mix it into the egg mixture with a spatula.
- Brush your cake pan with oil and pour the batter into it.
- Bake it for 40-60* minutes until golden.
- Let it cool and sift powdered sugar.
*Depending on the size of the baking pan you are using, the baking time will vary. Mine took slightly more than 60mins but if you are using a bigger baking pan, make sure to cut down on the baking time.