Whats not to love about meat (even better if you have left-over roasted meat) in sauce and mashed potatoes? This dish is easy, affordable and freezes beautifully! Had this Cottage pie with mashed peas, which was an accidental discovery, and red wine. The perfect dinner on a chilly autumn/ winter night.
Most of the recipes I saw serves at least 6 people. So this is definitely a dish you can make for a dinner party. Or you could make more, freeze it and you have a ready made meal on days when you don’t feel like cooking.
Making Cottage pie is almost therapeutic. There is no stress over things getting burned or having to hurry because every step is just perfectly timed. Multi-tasking will not result in burned food!
Now the mashed peas story. The peas were suppose to be mixed into the cottage pie. But my goldfish of a memory was full and totally forgot about adding it in. So what to do with a can of peas? Since we did not have any ‘greens’ I thought, why not make mashed peas. Cottage Pie is a british dish. Had Mashed peas with Fish and Chips when we were in London. Aha..mashed peas and cottage pie should work well eh? They tastes sooo good!
2 tbs olive oil
500g Minced Beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 small carrot, chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
2 tbs worcestershire sauce
1.5 tbs tomato puree
1 tsp thyme
1 bay leave
1/2 cup red wine
1/2 cup beef stock
salt and pepper
1. Add oil to a heated pan and brown the beef.
2. Add onion, carrot, garlic and the remaining oil to the meat. Fry for a minute.
3. Then add Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree, thyme, bay leave, stock and wine. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 30 mins. By this time the gravy should be thick and coating the meat. Check after about 20 mins – if a lot of liquid remains, increase the heat slightly to reduce the gravy a little. Season well, then discard the bay leaves.
4. While meat is cooking, prepare the mashed potato. (recipe below)
5. Spoon meat into ovenproof dish. Pipe or spoon on the mash to cover. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese. Using a fork, stab the pie a couple of times (this helps release some of the steam while baking). Please the dish in a preheated oven at 200 degree C and cook for 25-30 mins, or until the topping is golden.
tip: Make sure to place the dish on a baking tray. In case the sauce from the meat overflows!
dash of nutmeg
50g grated parmasen
In a large pot, cover the potatoes in salted cold water, bring to the boil and simmer until tender. Drain well, then allow to steam-dry for a few mins. Mash well with the milk, butter, and parmesan, then season with the nutmeg and some salt and pepper.
1 can peas (about 200g)
1/2 onion, chopped
1/4 tsp brown sugar
salt and pepper
In a small pot on medium heat, add peas and chopped onion. Cook till peas are soft. About 2-3mins. Then remove the pot from heat and add butter, sugar, salt and pepper. Mash well.