recipe: Crockpot Red Lentil Chickpea Squash Soup
Dear Sunday, please stay a little longer.
Don’t we all wish that the weekend can drag on a little longer. So that we can walk around the house in our PJs, snuggle under a thick blanket and watch movie or any TV series all day long? At least thats how I feel now on a lazy Sunday afternoon hoping that the clock will just move a little slower. The only thing that makes this chilly autumn Sunday more comforting is this warm and healthy Crockpot Red Lentil Chickpea Squash Soup.Yup its Sunday and we are all lazy to cook, time to use the trusty crockpot! Once in a while its nice to go meatless for dinner, ever heard of #MeatlessMonday? So for all you vegan/vegetarian folks! This is definitely a must try, especially there is almost no cooking involved. Unless you consider chopping and turning the crockpot on “cooking”. Oh and there is also another reason why we made this with the crockpot because this month’s food theme on The Recipe Redux is making something using the crockpot.
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1.5 Red kuri squash ( or butternut squash), peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup packed fresh parsley or cilantro leaves, chopped
- Combine the chickpeas, squash, carrots, onion, lentils, broth, tomato paste, ginger, cumin, salt, saffron and pepper in a crockpot.
- Put on the lid and cook on low until the chickpeas are tender and the lentils have begun to break down, 6 to 8 hours.
- Stir in lemon juice. Serve sprinkled with pine nuts and parsley/ cilantro.