I am writing this because I am forced by The Wife to contribute more to this blog ;) I actually hoped that managing all the IT Stuff is enough… Ok enough complaining! Lets focus on food since that is why you guys are here.
Have you ever eaten Grilled Chicken Souvlaki? I assume we all know barbecued meat from a stick but this is a greek classic that is very common to find in Germany! Continue reading to find out how to make this light and healthy dish on your own.
Ok so lets just have a quick look at the ingredients that we are going to need to make this wonderful and well balanced dish. The list contains all necessary ingredients to make the Souvlaki, the salad and the couscous:
400g Chicken breast
Greek Meat Seasoning: dried Oregano, Salt, Pepper, Cumin, Thyme, Rosemary, dried Onion and paprika (You can usually find a premix for this in most supermarkets)
250g cherry tomato
yellow bell pepper
2 small shallots
125g feta, crumbled
salt and pepper
As you can see on the picture above this dish is all about grilling meat! Before that we have to spend some time preparing it and marinating our chicken. Just have a look at the simple steps below and you are good to go:
1. Cut the chicken into equally sized squares. 1,5 to 2 cm per side should be fine and make sure that the chicken is not too thick.
2. Mix Olive oil and the Meat Seasoning in a container and stir it well. Honestly I can’t tell you how much Seasoning you should add but I would not be too stingy in it. Once the Oil and Seasoning is combined just add the chicken inside and try to cover everything with the mixture. Let the meat marinate for about 30 minutes in the fridge.
3. While waiting for the meat we can take care of the salad. I strongly recommend to start the salad once the meat is in the fridge because it allows the salad to take up the great flavors from the seasoning. For the salad just chop the bell pepper and the cucumber into small cubes and slice the onion into thin slices. Combine the bell pepper, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, onions and crumbled feta cheese in a bowl. Drizzle it with some Olive Oil (I recommend to watch some Youtube videos of Jamie Oliver using a small amount of Olive Oil for cooking…). Finish it off with some Salt, Pepper and dried Oregano and you mix everything with your hands. Let it rest in the fridge until your meat is done.
4. Your meat should be well marinated by now. Rinse the skewers with water to prevent them from burning while on the grill. Skewer the meat onto wooden skewers!
5. At the same time start heating up a grilling pan. If you have a grill at home and you are able to fire it up then I strongly recommend that to increase the flavor.
6. Grill the meat on both sides for about 7-10 minutes each. The outside should be nice and charred and the inside will still be soft and juicy. Make sure the grill is not too hot so that you don’t end up having burned Souvlaki on the outside and raw meat on the inside.
7. While the meat is grilling prepare the Couscous! Place uncooked couscous together with hot water in a bowl. Ratio of water to couscous is 1:1. (About 1 espresso cup of couscous for the two of us) Cover and let it sit for about 10mins. Then use a fork to mix/fluff meat seasoning, salt and pepper into couscous.
8. Plate and serve!
Tip: Alternatively you could have this with couscous salad too.