recipe: Shoyu Butter Linguini (15mins)
Yes you read right, butter and Shoyu (soy sauce) linguini! A colleague of mine made this for lunch the other day and much to my surprise the taste is really pretty good. I found out from another Japanese colleague that this is really common in Japan. So why not?
It actually does taste asian, because of the soy sauce or it could just be my imagination. But this will certainly stay in my week night menu because it is so quick to whip up! Just 15mins and bam! Dinner is served.
You can basically add anything you want to this simple recipe. The base is just butter and soy sauce. Everything else like onion, bacon, peas is up to you to add. You could add more greens like spinach or asparagus. Or some meat if you need your dose of protein!
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 250g linguini ( or spaghetti)
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2cloves of garlic. chopped
- 4-5 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 cup of peas ( I used frozen peas)
- 2 tsp Butter
- dash of soy sauce
- salt and pepper
- In a pot, boil some water with salt for the pasta. ( Cook pasta as instructed on the box, about 12min for linguini)
- Heat a pan, add about 2 tbs of oil on medium high, add chopped onion and garlic stir fry for 1min.
- Add bacon and fry till its cooked.
- Add peas and butter. Cook till peas are done.
- When the pasta is done, drain and throw the pasta into the pan add a dash of soy sauce and mix well.
*If the pasta is not done when your butter sauce is already done, turn off the heat to prevent the sauce from burning and wait till pasta is done.
*Also you could season with more salt or soy sauce and pepper. It really depends on how salty you like your food! :D