So we recently found out how real carbonara is made. There should not be any cream in carbonara. In most of the ‘italian’ restaurants you go to they usually add cream to them weighing the while dish down. Continue reading if you wanna know how it should be made!
I made this dish because the Wife bought a pack of fresh spinach and we were starving. So this is definitely a quick dish to make on hungry days. This recipe used the base of how carbonara is made adding spinach rather than pancetta. So technically it is not how carbonara is made. I apologise for misleading you guys. BUT this is a healthier take on the dish ;)
If you want to make the real carbonara, use pancetta (or bacon) instead of spinach!
Here you go with a very short list of ingredients:
- Olive oil
- 400 gram of pasta (we used linguini)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 125 gram of fresh spinach
- 2 eggs
- 50 gram of parmesan cheese
- Bring water to a boil for your pasta. Once it is boiled don’t forget to season it.
- In a small bowl crack the eggs and mix it with salt, pepper and the grated parmesan cheese. Whisk like you scrambled eggs until everything is well combined.
- Add the pasta into the boiling water and cook them following the instructions on the packet. This should take between 7-8 minutes depending on the pasta and the brand you are using.
- Once the pasta starts to boil, crush the garlic with your hands. They should be really smashed and almost fall apart.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan on high heat and fry the garlic stirring it occasionally. Once the garlic is soft try to smash it further with your spatula.
- Once the garlic is cooked add the spinach and stir fry it until all leaves become soft. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once your pasta done, drain the water and add the pasta to the pan and mix it well with the garlic.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the egg mixture. This will make it creamy and coated with egg and cheese all over.
- Plate the pasta and top it of with some more grated parmesan and pepper.