recipe: Vegan Shepherds Pie
We recently started experimenting more with sweet potatoes. These super healthy, starchy, sweet tasting and filling root vegetable has got to be a new discovery for us. As you may tell from our recent sweet potato breakfast hash we are absolutely in love with this big chuck of root.
Alright enough raving about sweet potatoes. We made Cottage pie last december and you guys seem to like it so this time we decided to give it a twist after watching a vegan shepherds pie youtube on Foodtube (by Jamie Oliver)
This dish is great if you have a big party and I am sure will be a crowd pleaser! Everyone will love it even you meat eating (only) pals. We did not have a big party when I made it but it sure packs well for lunch the following day and even dinner a day later. Just be sure to refrigerate them well.
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 4-5 sweet potatoes (depending on size)
- Olive oil
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 2 sticks of celery, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 2 red onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- 6 sprigs of rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ground coriander seeds
- 4 sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/2 glass wine
- 100mls of veg stock cube
- 1 x 400g tin of lentils (in water)
- 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas
- handful of breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- In an oven proof tray place the sweet potatoes ( skin still on), drizzle with oil then salt and pepper. Roast for 35-40minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Place a pan on a medium heat, add a little oil together with the celery, red onion, carrots, garlic, 4 sprigs of rosemary and ground coriander seeds. Cook for 10 minutes stirring constantly until all sticky and soft.
- Add to the pan along with the sundried tomatoes, cook for another 3 minutes then add the wine, then the heat up and let the alcohol evaporate. Next add the chickpeas and lentil (along with the water in the tins) and veg stock. Stir to combine and leave to tick away for 5-10 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Season to taste and then place into a medium ovenproof dish.
- In a bowl combine the remaining rosemary and the breadcrumbs.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked through mash lightly and then roughly add on top of the pie. Finish with the breadcrumbs rosemary mix and then place under the grill for 5minutes or until crispy and golden.