BBQ season is almost over here in Germany but sometimes you just can’t resist grilling something even if the weather is not nice. What people in the northern hemisphere usually forget is that BBQ season is going to start soon for all countries in the southern hemisphere. While we have to rely on a grilling rack for the oven everyone else down there can fire up their grill in the garden and enjoy the lovely flavors that come from a real BBQ. But that is not what we actually wanted to share with you. One day we just had this crazy craving for tandoori chicken and since there are no indian restaurants anywhere near us we decided to make it on our own. You wouldn’t believe how easy it is so just read on and find out…
We decided to use whole chicken thighs but of course you could go for chicken breast as well. If you don’t want to keep all the ingredients for the marinade at home you could just buy chicken tikka masala powder from any grocery store and use that. Of course we wouldn’t recommend that :)
If you are not familiar with indian food. We think Tandoori chicken is one of the easiest to start easing into this fascinating cuisine. Its not loaded and swimming in sauce or curry. Rather it is coated in a light marinate of greek yoghurt and spices. The greek yoghurt will create a milder taste to the marinate. A disclaimer though, we are not attempting to recreate the original tandoori chicken. This recipe is more a westernised, fusion version that you can easily prepare at home.
For all you lucky people with some sunshine and warmth (hint our readers from the asian pacific region, you could fire up a grill and have a Barbeques Galore.) Well for all of you who are sitting in countries approaching fall, no worries! You can also do this at home with a grill racks for the oven. That was what we used!
If you wanna check out other grill recipes or ideas you could check our older recipes here.
The list of ingredients:
- 16 chicken thighs
- 300ml Greek yogurt
- thumb size piece of ginger, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- ¾ tsp garam masala
- ¾ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- a pinch of salt
The steps for preparation:
- Mix all of ingredients for the marinade together in a bowl.
- Add the chicken thighs and give everything a good mix.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and leave it in the fridge for at least one hour. You can do this up to 24 hours in advance!
- Heat the grill or your oven. Your desired temperature should be around 200°C.
- Place the chicken thighs directly on the grill or arrange them on your grilling rack to put them in the oven.
- Grill for 10 mins on each side. You should wait until they are at least lightly charred and completely cooked through.