Tofu Kimchi Fried Rice
We recently bought 3.2kg of kimchi from our local asian shop. What better way to use those spicy crunchy fermented vegetables than in kimchi fried rice! These are so easy to make that anyone can make these at home, well you do need to get some kimchi first. In less than 15mins you will be munching on this heavenly dish.
Kimchi is definitely an acquired taste but once you start it is quite difficult to stop. You know its good when in Korea there is a Kimchi FRIDGE. Yes a compartment only for kimchi. Wish we have that now. The cling wrap and plastic bag strategy ain’t working out. Kimchi apart from its addictive properties are also extremely healthy. It is low in calories, high in fiber, high in anti oxidant, great for the immune system and the list goes on. So what is not to love about this?! So go out and get yourself some kimchi now and make some fried rice!
Ingredients (Serves 4-5 people)
- 6 cups of cooked rice
- 3 tbs vegetable oil
- 220g firm tofu (1 packet), chopped into small dice.
- 3 green onions chopped ( white and green parts separated!)
- 2 cups chopped kimchi
- 2 tbs seasame oil
- 1 tbs light soy sauce
- 2 tbs hot pepper paste (Gochujiang)
- Sesame seeds
- To a wok heated on medium high add vegetable oil, tofu and white part of green onion. Stir fry for 1-2 mins.
- Add the cooked rice to the wok. If the rice is lumpy you could break them up with your spatula. Make sure that all the ingredients are well mixed.
- Add the chopped kimchi. Mix well. Then add the sesame oil, soy sauce and hot pepper paste. Reduce heat to low and let it mixture cook for about 2 mins.
- Then add the green part of the green onion. Mix well and serve with a sprinkle of sesame seeds!