Ultra Moist Banana Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache
What do you do with ripped bananas? Besides baking the classic banana bread of course. Bake this baby! Its a super simple but extremely moist banana chocolate cake with chocolate ganache recipe. It stays moist for more than 3 days.
I had 5 extremely ripe banana that day and baked a banana bread, which I then froze, AND this banana chocolate cake. This is a HUGE cake recipe. You should be able to feed up to 16 people. I baked it in an 11′ spring form pan. Guess what? There was no party when I baked it. The Husband and I finish the cake over the next 3 days. Yup the 2 of us! My plan was to bake a big cake. Have half of it then the other half the Husband should take it to work. By the end of the day. The cake was more than half gone and we had more the following day. In the end it was too little cake left to actually bring it to work.
Apologise for the lack of a whole cake picture. I created a mess with the chocolate ganache. I was too impatient to wait till the ganache has slightly firmed before releasing the spring form resulting in a gush of chocolate fountain ones the spring form was released. Well it may look ugly but it sure taste damn good!
Ingredients (For 16 people and I baked it in an 11′ spring form.)
(I adepted this recipe from Joyofbaking.com)
Banana Chocolate Cake:
- 1 cups (200 g) sugar
- 1 3/4 cups (245 grams) flour
- 3/4 cup (75 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium sized bananas)
- 1 cup (240 ml) warm water
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) flavorless oil)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Chocolate Ganache Frosting:
- 8 ounces (227g) semi sweet or bittersweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Butter, cake pan.
- Whisk the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Using another bowl, whisk the eggs, bananas, water, milk, oil, and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir/ whisk until combined.* Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for about 35 to40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. Make sure that cake is completely cool before frost with the Ganache.
For the Ganache
- place chopped chocolate in a bowl, set aside. Heat the whipping cream in a microwave save container/bowl till hot.
- Then pour cream over chocolate.
- Let is sit for 1-2mins. Stir until smooth. Let the ganache cool before frosting the cake!
*Do not worry about the batter. It is a fairly thin batter.